The stigma of online dating has virtually died out, and many people are now comfortable in letting the internet play cupid for them. But amazingly, how to find a date online is still one of the most frequently asked questions out there. Here are a few tips to find a mate on the internet:
1. Know what you want. This seems a little simplistic, but there are many people who cannot answer the question as to what they really want beyond “a date”. What type of relationship are you looking for? What type of person? Do you have children or would you date someone who has children? Is location a big factor or are you okay with a long distance relationship? How about religion and ethnicity?
2. Avoid a laundry list of wants. If there is a place where you could meet virtually any type of person you can imagine, it’s in online dating sites. However, this does not meet that you should demand that your potential date be something like what you read in romance fantasy novels. You need to come down closer to real planet earth, where flaws not only exist, they are expected.
3. Post a smashing personal profile. Of all tips on how to find a date online, this is perhaps the most important one. Your personal profile, also known as your personal ad is your bait; make it appealing. Don’t make the mistake of writing your ad while on the dating site. Write or type it on separate document and then transfer it on to the site. Be specific and don’t lie. Honestly describe who you are (without giving away personal information) and what you’re looking for. Tips on this one aspect alone can actually fill a book chapter.
4. Create a good handle. Also known as screen name, alias, ID, and User ID among a other terms, your handle is another vital piece of your dating ad. While most dating sites will generate a handle for you, it will usually be as bland as beach sand. Brainstorm handles using your personality traits (positive ones!), hobbies or passions. This will help not only make your handle meaningful, but also give a hint about the person behind the profile.
5. Post a photograph. There are people who do not post a picture with their personal profile for fear of being recognized. Well, the chances of someone that knows you stumbling on your profile are really slim. And what would they be doing on the dating site themselves in the first place? Profiles without photos get far fewer responses than those that do. To maximize your chances of finding a date online, post a good (and recent) picture of yourself.
6. Choose the right dating site. Of all tips on how to find a date online, this is perhaps the one that most people get wrong. The right dating site is the one that best fits your interests. Basically, those seeking serious or long-term relationships and marriage are better served in matchmaking sites. Those seeking a relationship that may or may not become long-term, or are not sure exactly what relationship they want would be better served in popular (general) dating sites. For those seeking sensual encounters and escapades, head to adult dating sites.
7. Get a free trial period. Most dating sites offer a free trial period. You will typically either get a short period with virtually all the features the site has to offer or a longer (even indefinite) period but with limited features. Use this to test the site and feel if it is a good fit for you. In fact, you should sign up for a free trial with more than one site so that you can compare them.
Want to find a date online? Signing up with a reputable dating site is crucial if you want to succeed. Now see the best dating services of various interests compared side to side and pick the best one for you. The author David Kamau is an online dating expert and is offering free top-notch dating ebooks today.